Wednesday, December 9, 2009

We're not even talking about actual bike lanes here

For some reason I'm actually waiting at a stop light on Glendale Blvd, that hell hole of hell holes, right before the 2 freeway on ramp, al Alesandro, at 2am in the morning, when I begin thinking to myself, "How fucked up must a system be that even when the least amount of people possible are using it, it is totally unable to be functional?" I wait a few more seconds, get back on my bike and make a short u turn to turn into the Food from Spain parking lot, cross a few parking spaces to the parking lot exit that's on Glendale Blvd, literally 10 feet from where I was legally unable to go any further at the Red Light back there, and enter into the street.

A few days later I'm drinking beers at the Echo Park boat house, trying to tell me bretheren bicylcist about how fucked up the city's proposed Draft Bike Plan, but I can't, because the issue is so uncool and bureacratic and the city has done such a great job at just burying the thing that every word coming out of my mouth only confuses and frightens these kids, and they ride bikes! "Essentially it comes down to this, we're fighting for a plan that gives us more bike lanes, and not less" "Well duh" the guy says "you mean the new plan doesn't even do that?" "NO!" I scream, "it actually takes them away!" That he seems to get, so I continue onto one of those tangents my brain goes on when it realizes something it's never thought of "The new plan is such shit that it takes away lanes, and we're not even talking actual lanes, the whole Bike Plan situation is so fucked up that when I say lanes, I actually mean the designation of a street that might one day maybe become a bike lane if bicyclist mobilize and fight real hard for it, because the majority of the bikes lanes the city actually designates on paper will never get built at the rate they've been going..." his eyes are glossed over and I've lost him again but I keep going cause like I said I'd never thought of it like this "The situation is so fucked that the City has actually decided to take away hypothetical bike lanes from us, not even real bike lanes, but weak plans to one day paint bike lanes, and we have to fight to get them back..."

It really is that bad, and for some reason though I feel shitty about it for a second, I really don't care.

No comments:

Post a Comment